Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Super Amazing Vacation of Awesomeness: Day 59

So today for the teen program, it was a lot of talking about self-doubt and the "façade" we hide ourselves behind.  There were a lot of people standing up and sharing their sob stories about how they didn't feel safe a lot of the time and hid in a shell for most their life.  It was during this that I found something out about myself.  Here's what I wrote sitting in that room growing kind of bored.

"Today as I sit here in Teen Feast, I realized that I am really weird in the fact that I am totally satisfied with myself.  As people around the room are bringing forth their sob stories and how they didn't feel accepted sometime in their life, I sat here thinking about how MY life has been.  When I ponder on it I think I've had a pretty darn easy life.  Sure I've been through my parents' divorce; sure I've been rejected by people before; sure there have been problems in my life...but I haven't allowed those things to stain who I am.  It might be because I've had an easy life; or it might be because of my attitude when being faced with challenges.  Who knows?  All I am sure about is that I KNOW who I am and I love me."

I discovered that I am a pretty genuine person.  I am outside my house what I am inside.  I really don't HAVE a shell that I hid behind.  I know my flaws, my strengths, my weaknesses, and I'm perfectly okay with them.  Unfortunately that quality is rare to find in, not only teens, but anyone else in any other age group.  This is probably the one ability I am most proud of in myself. :)

In other news... I found a Mormon friend today!! :D  We were sitting at a table together during lunch where they had served iced tea to everyone.  She took a look at it and said, "It's too bad I can't drink that because it looks really good."  I immediately froze and asked her exactly why she couldn't drink it.  We kind of had a squee fest with everyone else looking on in confusion. XD  It's good to have another person here who shares my beliefs. :)

Speaking of beliefs, I had an interesting experience regarding some of the other teens today.  Later this evening I decided to go hang with some of the other kids my age.  Well they walked to a room and I kind of tagged along.  The problem was; once they reached the room they started up conversations about all these raunchy and sexual subjects.  After enduring speech like that for a few minutes, I couldn't stand it any longer and walked out of the room.  It was just not fun for me in the slightest.  However, walking back to my room, I saw another group of teens sitting off to the side playing guitar and singing old folk and country songs.  Needless to say, I definitely know who I'm going to be chilling with for the rest of the week. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment